Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

If i was working job agency and i comitted a crime, (

Customer Question

if i was working for a job agency and i comitted a crime, ( larceny) and the agency too it upon themselves to repay the money taken if their insurance covered the debt can they legally make me payback the money?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

There are a lot of "ifs" in that question but as a general rule the answer would have to be yes.

There are a number of reasons for that. The first one is that if the company was trying to avoid themselves getting sued or bad mouthed because you were their employee at the time then they could sue you and the judge would order you to pay IF they convinced the judge you were likely guilty of the offense or that they would likely lose in a case if they were sued.

I'm not sure if you when you said "they" you meant the employer or the insurance company but it doesn't matter as to whether you would have to pay, what matters is whether you would have to pay the employer who would then have to pay the insurance company back for what they spent or whether you would have to pay the insurance company directly.

If any of that wasn't clear be sure and let me know so I can clear it up. It's a confusing issue if you haven't dealt with it before and I want to make sure all of your questions are answered.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.