Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

Is Sears-Citibank "AccountCare" legit? I have been paying

Customer Question

Is Sears-Citibank "AccountCare" legit? I have been paying $90 per month for years on this Sears Mastercard along with my regular monthly bill and was told that if I become unemployed which is have recently thst this fund will pay my Sears CitiBank Mastercard bill for a certain amount of time. Is this true of have I been scammed?
By the way, if you charge for this service please disregard my question and go on to your next client. Thank you very much for your time.
Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

It is legitimate, this is what they pay.

When you enroll in the optional AccountCare® program, you can rest easy knowing that your Sears account minimum monthly payment, up to $500 for up to 6 months, will be cancelled during these difficult financial times1:

• Involuntary Job Loss
  • Disability
  • Leave of Absence
  • Hospitalization
  • Death

AccountCare also...

• Cancels your balance if you are involuntarily unemployed, disabled or hospitalized for more than 6 months or in the case of death. Amount cancelled is up to $10,000, less any payments already cancelled for that event.
  • Provides full protection for an authorized user that is at least 18 years old, a spouse, or domestic partner, and resides in your household.
Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

1. WH

at iS J

oB L

at do

i H aVe to P ro

A. In order to qualify for job loss benefits, you must be employed full-time (working

at least 30 hours a week) at the time of the purchase; remain employed for 60

consecutive days after the date of purchase; and become involuntarily unemployed

within 365 days of the date of the purchase.

B. You must qualify for state or federal job loss benefits. You may still be eligible

even if you do not qualify for state or federal job loss benefits if (1) the benefits have

been exhausted because of a past period of unemployment, (2) you were employed

by a non-profit organization that did not have to withhold taxes, (3) you did not earn

enough income in the time period upon which your state or federal benefits are

based, or (4) you lost your job because of a general strike.

C. You must register for work at a recognized employment agency. You must remain

registered so long as you are claiming job loss benefits.

D. We must receive proof of your employment, job loss, and agency registration. We

must also receive proof that you made the purchase. We will require the original

or a copy of the cash register receipt for the purchase. To qualify for continuing

benefits, we must receive proof of continued job loss and employment agency

registration on a monthly basis.

E. You must notify us of the job loss not more than 365 days after the date of the

purchase. We must receive proof of the job loss no later than 427 days after the

date of purchase

Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

If you want to apply

for benefits, you must notify our Plan Administrator of your name, account number,

and address. You can call us toll free at 1-***-***-**** from 7:00 a.m. to

7:00 p.m. Central Standard Time, Monday through Friday, except on national

holidays, or you can write us at this address:

Sears Buyer Protection Processing Center

P.O. Box 901095

Fort Worth, TX 76101

Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

You can call them and make sure you send them what you need here.You need to file for UI benefits.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was just told to re-enter my payment method that there was a problem. Do I need to do that first?
Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

Yes if thats what it said here.This is a legitimate thing that Sears offers.They charge you for it but here it may help you pay your balances while unemployed.Make sure you file here so you can get repaid what you are due.

Thanks for the chance to help today.

If you can rate 5 stars it is always appreciated,

Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

Have a great day, sorry you were laid off.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ray did an excellent job and will be rated a "5" for sure.My Sears Citibank bill lists a number to call about this service but should I call the Sears Buyer Protection processing center number you provided. And if so will there be any addition charges? By the way I have been a Sears cardholder since 1976 according to what is stamped on this card in question. Thanks very much.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Order ID: 16405066-877Ray, The 1-***-***-**** number for the Sears Buyer Protection Process Center is a bad number and will not got through. Please advise. Thank you.Charlie Riley***@******.***
Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

Sorry try this one

Thanks for your patience and the best here.