Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

My father-in-law, who lives with me, received a Writ of

Customer Question

My father-in-law, who lives with me, received a Writ of Execution with a demand on a $4200 debt. Due to liver failure, he has not held a job in years, is not on unemployment or disability, and owns nothing of value, except for a 2001 Dodge Neon valued at less than $2000. Should we respond to writ or ...?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You should respond to the creditor stating the facts and the value of the car.It does not appear he has anything they can sell by writ of execution under California law.

Here are the statutory exemptions he has,.

He really ought to apply here for SSI if he has a terminal condition.He certainly should qualify for the money for his disability here.

Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

SSI apply here

If he gets SSI he qualifies for MediCal--this would cover medical including hospice and community care programs.Please check into it, thanks.

Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

Creditors cannot touch it either.