Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I recently co-signed a car loan son, who is 42 years old.

Customer Question

I recently co-signed a car loan for my son, who is 42 years old. Both my name and his are on the title. I recently learned that his wife has become the "primary" driver of the vehicle. She has been convicted twice of driving drunk with aggravated circumstances (both times with minors in the vehicle). Am concerned about what liability I may face if she finds more trouble while driving that vehicle. Personal injury, accident, etc. Legal issues and/or insurance issues ? Any thoughts...
Greig Moravec
Expert:  Sam replied 9 months ago.

Hello Greig
​This is Samuel. I will provide you information in this regard.

Expert:  Sam replied 9 months ago.

Yes. You can be liable for damage, injuries, etc caused by an accident of any driver you are owner of. This is called "vicarious liability."

Expert:  Sam replied 9 months ago.

It is something you should consider discussing with your insurance agent to ensure that the car is covered for other drivers. But be certain that if your policy does not cover all the damages that might occur in an accident where the driver is at fault, you can be sued personally.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.