P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

A company is paying to reimburse me to my car, but I've been

Customer Question

A company is paying to reimburse me for damage to my car, but I've been waiting for a few weeks now. I asked the company if they'd do anything for the inconvenience, and they offered me 50 dollars. After being with out necessities etc. for the past few weeks. So my question is... if I don't cash the check they're mailing out, can I still sue them for loss of funds or something like that?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Good question...in most cases, when a party (person or company) offers to settle a potential lawsuit, if they provide a check and you cash the check? That completes the transaction (you can not then sue them for more money)

What you are describing, if the company in question damaged your car, they are responsible for "reasonably foreseeable expenses"...this would include rental car costs or other costs associated with the damages.

If you want to sue them ?

Then do not cash the check...since if you do, that will prevent your lawsuit

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.