AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years law practice experience
93913325

On May 25, 2016, the Police searched and seized property in

On May 25, 2016, the Police searched and seized property in my residence with a no-knock search warrant. The warrant included my residence and my person. They also entered my tenant's residence by kicking in his locked door located in the basement of my residence without his or my permission. His name or residence was not listed on the warrant. I have a legal rental agreement with him. They seized computers, disks, CD's, phones, etc. from both my residence and my tenant's residence. My tenant was home at the time and was in his underwear, handcuffed, humulated, and taken to a police car in his underwear, and then released. Neither myself nor my tenant were arrested.
Questions:
1. How do I get mine and my tenant's possessions back. The evidence that they were trying to find doesn't exist on anything they seized.
2. I can not afford a lawyer, so I need to know how to proceed on my own, including any statutes, laws, forms, etc. I need to file, and when to do so.
3. What other options or advice can you give me?
I am located in the city of Omaha in the county of Douglas in the State of Nebraska.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

You are asking fairly detailed questions...I will send an offer for additional services...if you accept happy to chat on the phone about this...

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When will I get my answers?1. How do I get mine and my tenant's possessions back. The evidence that they were trying to find doesn't exist on anything they seized.2. I can not afford a lawyer, so I need to know how to proceed on my own, including any statutes, laws, forms, etc. I need to file, and when to do so.3. What other options or advice can you give me?I am located in the city of Omaha in the county of Douglas in the State of Nebraska

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience and I would like to assist you for informational purposes.

If you don't have money to hire a lawyer, you will have a hard time filing a motion in the court, so you will either have to try to do that yourself, which would probably be a bit overwhelming and difficult, or you have to work with the police. If the police seized property, they probably want to get it forensically tested to determine that there is no useful evidence they can derive from the property. Just because you tell them that the evidence they seek is not in the computer does not mean that they will believe that. You might want to telephone the evidence room at the police dep't and ask how long they will need to keep the property for. My experience is that they keep it for quite a while.

The police searched your tenant's residence, and if your tenant thinks that it was wrongful, then he has the right to follow up on this. You did not consent to the search of your tenant's residence, so the fact that the police searched his residence wrongfully in connection with the search of your residence is on the police - it is not on you.

Please let me know if I have answered your question. If so, could you please give me a positive rating? Thanks!

AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience: 15 years law practice experience