Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My car was taken by the police from in front of my house. I

Customer Question

My car was taken by the police from in front of my house. I was preforming mechanical work to my car for a couple of day in front of my house.
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

1) Why did they take the vehicle? Did they give a reason?

2) Did you get ticketed? If so, what for?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The officer was believing the car was stolen and being taken apart. I was not given any tickets only my property was taken. Today I called the Sheriff's and was told that I was given a chance to move the vehicle but that was a lie the almost took me to jail cause I was taking things out of the car while the was taking it....
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.

Thank you. Sounds like a misunderstanding and some poor judgment on the part of the Sheriff's office.

Assuming you were not violating any municipal or county ordinance by working on your vehicle there, and not violating any HOA ordinance (and the HOA somehow got the police to tow it), then what someone in your situation wants to do is to send a letter to the Sheriff's office, asking that they allow you to recover the vehicle. If they do not, then, you would have to file a replevin action in Court to retrieve it, which would mean hiring an attorney (but if the Court believes that the Sheriff's department acted unlawfully, it can order them to pay your legal fees).

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.