Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

I was being evicted of lease a "pit" dog into my apt. I gave

Customer Question

I was being evicted for breach of lease for bringing a "pit bull" dog into my apt. I gave documentation of a companion pet( that they denied) before bringing in the dog and proved that he was not a pit bull, but rather a bulldog breed. I ended up giving the dog away to stay at the apt for my children's sake. The lawyer for the apt convinced them to drop the eviction and they did. I am now having to sign documents stating that I agree I breached the lease from having a pit bull dog and just dog period in the house;that I did remove the dog and the dog nor any other dogs will be returning. I don't fully agree with what I'm signing being as though once again the dog was proven by a veterinarian not to be a pit bull. I gave the companion pet documentation from children's therapist and that I don't quite understand how we breached the lease when there are very much so many other residents with dogs in the apt complex.
Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You should not sign anything you do not agree with factually.You are free to correct the facts and sign it.Feel free to cross out what is in error and initial it and sing the document.Again anything thats not true there is no need to agree to tit as it is written.If you don't agree here you breached the lease you can refuse the entire document.You have rights here , no need to agree to something you don't agree too.Since you know they will try to use this against you someday you may decide to refuse to sign the document here at all.

Since the matter has been concluded I see no reason for you to admit to anything, or if you do there you alter the facts so that they are true.Obviously you dispute the information in the statement here.You may consider telling them that you do not feel you breached the lease and have made good faith effort here to resolve it and leave it at that.The landlord may have to just let it go here.I don't see how they can cooerce you to sign anything that is factually untrue.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.