Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

My wife received a message from a woman on via Facebook

Customer Question

My wife received a message from a young woman on via Facebook Messenger the other night saying she was my daughter and wanted to make contact with me. I did have a one night stand with her Mother however her Mother had also been in a relationship with someone else around the same time so I never really new who her Father was. I have not heard from her Mother or this young woman in over 40 years so as you can imagine it was quite a shock to now hear from her. My problem is I dont know if I am her Father and to be honest I'm not sure I want to know. I'm worried about the consequences if it was proven I had Fathered her, would I be financially indebted to either her or her Mother.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

No, not if it was that long ago. Every state has a statute of limitations on when someone can file for child support, etc. and it doesn't extend that long in any of them.

Your facts don't mention what state you are in and I'd be glad to look at your specific state but it wouldn't be anywhere near 40 years in any of them. The most I've seen is within 4 years of the child turning 18.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.

I am about to sign off for the evening but will be back online tomorrow morning. If you post any additional questions I will pick them up tomorrow morning and continue.