TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

NYS Department of Transportation has just informed me that

Customer Question

NYS Department of Transportation has just informed me that my 4-month-old EXPENSIVE metal triple mailbox system must be removed within 30 days. Apparently they don't allow 3 boxes on one post, for some reason. I spent hundreds of dollars on the system in order to replace a larger expensive custom-designed vinyl set-up which held 3 mailboxes and several paper boxes which DOT destroyed in February. My neighbor saw one of their snowplows going way too fast along the straightaway in front of my house veer off, cross a wide shoulder, and demolish our mailbox system. There was nothing left but splinters and no useable pieces. Needless to say, I was not reimbursed for their carelessness. Can they really force me to take down this new mailbox system? I am forced to have the boxes of 2 neighbors on the lawn of my newly- restored my Victorian house and want the mailboxes to look nice.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

You would likely only get a request like that if the mailbox design is deemed as overly dangerous in the event that a car were to strike the mailbox. In other words, they're trying to avoid a situation were a mailbox could cause injury in a collision. I would contact the NYS DOT at (518)(###) ###-####and ask how you can appeal the decision. But bear in mind that when it comes to safety, or what they believe be a safety issue, you will probably need to do as instructed. If an accident were to occur, and somebody was injured as a result of a mailbox flying through a windshield, there would be trouble for not only you, but for the NYS DOT.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!