Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

I Live in pa. My husband and I have separated, he has s own

Customer Question

I Live in pa. My husband and I have separated, he has his own apartment since January. He is an addict. If he defaults on his rent or opens a credit card, am I still legally responsible because we are not divorced?
Expert:  Legalease replied 9 months ago.

Hello there --

-

Absolutely not !! First, Pennsylvania is NOT a community property state. There are about 11 states that are community property states where each spouse can be held responsible for the necessary living expenses of the other spouse -- but PA is NOT one of those states. So, you are only legally responsible for that which you sign for your self or for which you co-sign for someone else and if your name is ***** ***** this apartment in any manner, you are not responsible for any debt that he incurs regarding the apartment or for anything else. Even if he was still living with you and has credit cards in his name, so long as you have nothing to do with those cards, you would not be responsible for any charges made on any such cards.

-

I hope that helps. Please press a positive rating above so that I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star in the rating section above, so I really do appreciate it. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

-

MARY

Hello again --

-

Are there any further questions that I can answer for you on these issues? I am happy to answer any follow up questions or concerns that you may have. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star ratings section so that I will be paid for my time assisting you? We do not receive paychecks and are paid only if you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star above in the ratings section. While it may have been just an oversight on your part to review the answer and leave without pressing a positive rating above, the website keeps your entire payment as profit and pays the expert nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth star or fifth star to the right of the middle star above. Also, please note that even when you press a positive rating, your question will not close and you can return for another 6 months to ask additional follow up questions for no additional charge.

-

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!