Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I was put in a therapy situation with an individual who is

Customer Question

I was put in a therapy situation with an individual who is taking advantage of women on a college campus and they're not reporting or their solution was for him to jerk off before class
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

I would like to sue the the outpatient treatment program for knowingly putting me in that situation is that possible it was detrimental to my mental health

It's theoretically possible. It would be a type of malpractice claim.

The problem you are going to have is finding an attorney and then funding the case. Medical (or in this case mental health) malpractice cases are extremely expensive to pursue. To file the case you have to have a report ready from another provider serving as an expert. The least that will cost if $15k and usually they are considerably more than that. To get a malpractice case all the way to trial it's not unusual to have $100k in expenses and often more than that.

In your particular case it will be hard to put a monetary value on the damages.

So, while it is possible to sue for this action, it is going to be difficult. You may want to talk to a few local lawyers who do malpractice cases, you can find them at, and get their views as well.

You could also consider filing a complaint with the state licensing board and then if you get a finding against the counselor by the licensing agency it will make it easier to get a lawyer and pursue the actual civil case.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.

I will be going offline shortly. If you have follow up questions feel free to ask them in this thread and I will continue the first thing in the morning.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

MMoney is not an issue and I have already filed a grievance with the state

You can certainly call around and talk to a couple of lawyers that do med mal. If money isn't an issue what you may want to suggest is that you will pay for the records and the cost for the expert to review them if they will handle finding the expert and getting the records to them. Then, if the expert comes back and says there's a case you already have everything lined up and ready to go.

If the complaint comes back in your favor then it helps your case tremendously.