Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I filed a personal injury vehicle crash. My case git settle

Customer Question

I filed a personal injury for a vehicle crash. My case git settle I the mediation process. My case has been closed. The mediator said the other half should pay within 21 days. The defendants isurance paid the lawyer the check it's been 2months since mediation my case now close. My question is what is the usual time frame for my lawyer to release check after settlement? I call her office every two weeks to follow up. I keep getting different answers from her. I live in Houston TX.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Did you have Medicare or Medicaid insurance?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No I have Aetna insurance

Usually a lawyer will have to wait about 3-4 weeks after they receive the check and papers to get the check completely cleared and all the paperwork signed and completed. Then, if there are no liens the settlement proceeds can be distributed.

However, if the lawyer has been notified of liens by anyone they have to make sure the liens are released before the money gets distributed. That can take a while, depending on what kind of lien it is. Medicare and Medicaid take the longest which is why I asked about them. Those kind of liens can take a very long time to resolve. The other types of liens can settle in a couple of months but it can also take longer if the lawyer is trying to get them to reduce the amount of the lien so you can get more money in your pocket.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.