Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have car insurance through Progressive. I have never tried

Customer Question

I have car insurance through Progressive. I have never tried to get or have had insurance through Farmers. My roommate, whom has no relation to me, was trying to get a quote through Farmers. My roommate was quoted a high rate because of my driving record even though I have nothing to do with her car or insurance. That's not the issue I'm questioning however. I recently spoke to the agent and she said she brought up my name as another driver in the household. According to my roommate, the agent proceeded to tell her about my driving record including specific dates of accidents. I was reading about the DPPA and it says that no information including my name, address, social, etc are allowed to be given to anyone else without my permission. My question is... was the agent legally allowed to mention my name to my roommate and then give information about my driving record? Or because we have the same address did that then give the insurance agent the right to mention my name to my roommate? I feel like that would give anyone the right to to just give a random address to an insurance company to obtain information about someone living at that address.
Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Unlike attorney/client confidentiality, or doctor/patient privilege, etc, there is no right to privacy when it comes to driving record. Driving record is a public matter. So while it is unusual, it is not illegal for the agent to discuss your past driving record with the roommate, or vice versa.

So again, this was not unlawful. Unusual and possibly even unethical, yes. However, unlawful? No.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!