Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

My daughter and her fiancee, 6 yr relationship, recently

Customer Question

My daughter and her fiancee, 6 yr relationship, recently split up. During the term of their relationship, they aquired a great Dane. My daughter was always employed, her fiancee, hardly at all. Also, she has another dog, who is the great Dane's constant companion, as well as 3 horses, and a pet turkey, (don't laugh!) that are companions to the great Dane. Her fiancee also has a history of drug abuse, as well as an attempted suicide. Given that my daughter was always the one employed, i.e. paid for the dog's food and vet bills, and the fact that the dog, who was 'dognapped' 3 days ago, is very definitely traumatized by this removal from his home, what are my daughter's chances in court to regain custody of the animal?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Your daughter's chances are good. because they are not married, this is not community property. So, the court is likely to look at who paid for the dog originally and who paid for all the car of the dog. Since your daughter is the one working and paid the bills, the court, in my experience, especially given the bf's situation with unemployment and drugs, is almost always going to go with the owner who paid the bills, is the most responsible, and is the person who would be in the best interest of the dog. I see very little, if anything, upon which the court would find a basis to rule in the ex-bf's favor.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!