Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

WHAT CAN I DO TO A CONDOS THAT WERE BUILT ABOVE MY LAND. ALL

Customer Question

WHAT CAN I DO TO A CONDOS THAT WERE BUILT ABOVE MY LAND. ALL OF THE EVETROFS WERE POINTED TOWARD MY HOME THERE WAS NO DITCH THERE TO DIRECT THE WATER AWAYFROM MY HOME,GARAGE AND BACKYARD. IT CAME ABOVE MY SLANB AND SOAKED MY 3 ROOMS WITH WATER. I'VE BEEN TRYING TO GET SOMETHING DONE WITH IT. BUT THEY KEEP GIVEING A RUN AROUND. THEN THE SENT ME A LETTER TELLIAROUND HOME AND GARAGE;YARD. I'M 78 YEARS OLD AND I DON'T THINK I DESERVE THIS. I GET NO HELP FROM THEM OF DAMAGE DONE TO ME.I CAN'T GET IT FIX. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I CAN DO TO THEM THANK YOU CHARLOTTENG ME I HAVE TO PAY ANY DAMAGE MY 2 EVAVETROFS DO TO THERE PROPERTY OR HOMES. THAT WAS A LOL.INSPECTOR OF THIS COUNTY CAME AND SEEN THE WATER STANDING ON FLAT GROUND AND TOLD ME IT WAS NO DITCH THERE. NOW MY FLOORS AND WOOD STUDS ;CARPETS ARE RUIN. I HAVE PITCHERS OF ALL WATER IN HOME AND
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 5 months ago.

Good evening over in Ohio. I'm certainly sorry to hear you're having such problems. It sounds like the folks at planning and zoning in your County made a mistake when they did not require the builder to make provisions for the runoff. There's not much you can do about it now though unless you are willing to hire a top-notch lawyer to sue the condo association, claiming that the manner of the construction created a nuisance which they have an obligation to fix. Plan on spending anywhere from $10-$20,000 in legal fees and expenses to get that job done, and there is no guarantee that you will win that kind of case. Your next best solution is to hire a landscape architect or engineer to redesign your property and create runoff ditches to carry the water away from your home. Now admittedly, that's going to put the water onto somebody else's land, but you have the absolute legal right to do that in order to protect your own property. Perhaps if enough of your neighbors are adversely affected by this situation you can all band together and take on the condo association in court and come up with a solution that benefits everyone. I hope so.