Lady Lawyer
Lady Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  J.D. Admitted to practice in New York State

Can a hospital run a me consumer drug test on a newborn

Customer Question

Can a hospital run a me consumer drug test on a newborn without parents consent? Can the hospital refuse to discharge the infant until the test comes back?
Expert:  JustAnswer replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for posting your question. We’re matching you to the right Expert, who will call you at the number you provided. Please leave any new details below.
Expert:  Lady Lawyer replied 4 months ago.

Hello I am a licensed attorney please remember I can only give you information as educational advice based on the terms and conditions of this web site.

As a minor other than tests required by your state department of health the parent must usually give consent to all medical procedures for your child including a new born. I am not sure what particular test you are referring to but it may be that the type of testing done is required by your department of health. Did you ask your child's pediatrician about this?

Depending on which state you live in you can find out if the tests done on your newborn are required by 'googling' new born screening it will take you to your state dept of health. Again if it is a different type of test usually you would have to give consent for this and be informed about it. Also keep in mind most hospitals have you sign a very broad consent form for both your own care and for care of your newborn so you should look at the original consents you signed upon admission to the hospital.