Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

My son was pulled over after having one beer. He did 2 field

Customer Question

My son was pulled over after having one beer. He did 2 field tests which he failed because he was very scared having never been involved with the police. He was not offered a breathalyzer at the time. By the time they took him to the station he had convinced himself (he has anxiety issues and is going through counseling for it) that the machine would convict him no matter what. He was not advised of the consequences of refusal. The reason for the stop was having an extra person in the back seat with no seatbelt not his driving. It does seem that he annoyed the officers by telling them he could not do the heel to toe because of balance issues. Is there any hope for this one?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The only time I have seen it done it did result in two surcharges. However, it has been my experience that this is very dependent on the officer from the state who handles this part.

The criminal issue is handled by the DA and judge but the drives license issues are typically addressed initially by the DA and judge but ultimately reside in the hands of the state driver's license officers, which is a different organization altogether. They are not necessarily bound by what the judge does in the criminal case.

Is there a reason that he is not getting a lawyer for this?