Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

I recently puchased a car grandson gift.Because he is not 18

Customer Question

I recently puchased a car for my grandson for aq gift.Because he is not 18 his father agreed to register and insure it in his name.I paid all fees including first months insurance payment.His father has now told him he is going to sell it.THat means my grandson will not have this gift and I will have paid thousands of dollars for him to have this to sell.what can i do to stop this from happening?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Good morning Yvonne. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

If he won't relent on this, file suit against him for breach of contract. You did make a gift, but it was to your grandson, not to his dad. Rather, the arrangement you had with his dad is a contractual one and he is breaching that agreement. Even if you don't have a signed contract, the lack of a written contract can be overcome by the concepts of promissory estoppel, detrimental reliance, and unjust enrichment. This situation arises when Person A relied upon the verbal agreement, Person A performed based on such reliance, and because Person B defaulted, such reliance is now to Person A's detriment. Where there is i) partial performance by Person A based upon the mutual promises, ii) Person A relied upon such promises to perform, iii) Person B's failure to perform would be to Person A's detriment, and iv) result in Person B being unjustly enriched, Person A can overcome the legal requirement that the agreement be in writing. Your situation satisfies all the foregoing.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!