Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

What rights do I have to refuse security cameras from being

Customer Question

What rights do I have to refuse security cameras from being installed in our private home by my husband of 35 years? I will feel so uncomfortable and am very much against this.
Expert:  Sam replied 5 months ago.

Hello

​This is Samuel. Who is doing the installation? Are they outside or inside? Are they in a place where you would have an expectation of privacy? Also is your name on the Title/Deed to the home?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Inside the home. I have been married for 35 years. No my name is ***** ***** the load of the home. Yes will not have any privacy inside my home.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
A security company.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Name not on the load or deed
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
not on loan or deed
Expert:  Sam replied 5 months ago.

Thank you. Unfortunately, if your name is ***** ***** the Deed, the installation company does not need your permission to install. I suggest, however, that once the cameras are installed you can certainly "black" them out.

Expert:  Sam replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry that your rights are restricted even though it is legally your home, permission is not needed for the installation. But you can destroy them once they are installed because it is your home and you have a right to your privacy in your home, even from your spouse.

Expert:  Sam replied 5 months ago.

I am going to be signing out now. But if you have other questions, you can post them here and I will reply first thing tomorrow. It is nearly 11 pm here on the east coast. If you provide a positive rating you can still follow up with other questions and I will respond accordingly first thing in the morning. Thank you for your patience and understanding of the late hour.