RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

Can I bring stock broker case to small claim? If yes, can I

Customer Question

Can I bring stock broker case to small claim? If yes, can I demand punitive damage? The broker charged higher commission as promised. They forced me close position by saying I have negative net liquidation value which is not true. At the same time, they increased margin requirement about 9 times higher which essentially forced me closed all positions.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

While you could sue in small claims, the maximum amount you could sue for is $10,000 plus costs. So if your damages are more then that, you'd want to file in a different court. You cannot request punitive damages in small claims court, unfortunately.

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Oitherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars,as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating.Thank you.