Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have been divorced months and recently my ex was able to

Customer Question

I have been divorced for 8 months and recently my ex was able to transfer funds out of my bank acount which I was unaware she still had access to. I phoned the bank and was told she did it via an online transfer so no security questions were asked. The amount was 18000 dollars. Is this legal? I was awarded the house and kids in the divorce. The money was from the sale of my house.
Expert:  Ely replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for requesting me. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.
No, this should not have been allowed, if the money stems from your own, personal property.
At this point, what someone in your situation wants to do is to threaten a Motion for Enforcement by Contempt (or simply a civil lawsuit to get the money back) unless he gives it back to you.
You will have to show that the money is tied to the sale of the separate property using bank and other records, however.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.