Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

My lawyer missed a filing that ruined my cse then he led me

Customer Question

my lawyer missed a filing that ruined my cse then he led me on to believe the case was still very strong and that we were gona settle big even told me $330,000. was the agreed number but first I had to sign this paper to lock in the lost wages part I said I did not want to but he said I had too or the case would suffer ect, but he said he would go to the office and work on refilling the suit anyway as soon as I signed I went home and I just got a letter that said to bad the case is settled and he no longer represents me just like that he oke doked me how can I get him deld to answer for what he did? how do I prove anything against a lawyer
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Missing a deadline is one of the most common reasons for a malpractice claim. You can sue for malpractice to recover the damages caused by the error of your attorney.

Many attorneys who handle malpractice cases do so on contingency. So it should not cost you anything until you receive an award.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the problem is how do I find a lawyer who will sue the other lawyer for me.
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

There are many lawyers who handle attorney malpractice claims. If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys) . Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I not gona spring for more money I am disabled on a fixed income. your answer don't work couse it is missing the important information. I am not smart and I need help. I cant figure out how to fill out the things on the form for martindale.com
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Here is link where you can click on your county and then call a referral service by telephone, if that is easier for you.

California Referral Services

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
that was a state bar website and the numbers on it are just a recording not a live person to refer me I need help and this is not working. it appears that this website cant help me
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

There are multiple legal service providers if you click on your county.

I am happy to work with you until you are satisfied. What do you need from me?

Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Which county are you located in?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
sacramento
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

ATTORNEY REFERRAL SERVICE OF SACRAMENTO COUNTY BAR ASSOCIATION*****, Suite 100 Sacramento, CA 95835
(916)(###) ###-####/a> | www.sacbarlwayer.org

ATTORNEY SEARCH NETWORK*****, #672 Encino, CA 91436
(800)(###) ###-####/a> | www.getareferral.com

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no help again
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.
What is the problem with those?
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.
I can provide the resources, but at some point you may need to make an effort. What is the problem with the Sac. Bar Assn?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
they both say they don't have any lawyers that handle legal malpractice
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Hang on for a moment.

Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.
William C. Callaham Peer Review RatedDocumentsJob Title:Partner Organization:Wilcoxen Callaham, LLP Practice Areas:Legal Professional Liability; Civil Litigation; Trial Practice; Products Liability; Personal Injury; Medical Malpractice Office:Sacramento, California (Sacramento Co.) Compare***-***-**** View Website Contact Now Name:Kenneth Bacon Peer Review RatedDocumentsJob Title:Senior Associate Organization:Mastagni Holstedt, A.P.C. Practice Areas:Legal Malpractice; Attorney-Client Fee Disputes; Professional Liability; Construction Litigation; Title Insurance; Insurance Coverage; Insurance Litigation Office:Sacramento, California (Sacramento Co.) Compare***-***-**** View Website Contact Now Name:Steven A. Lewis Peer Review RatedDocumentsJob Title:Sole Practitioner Organization:Steven A. Lewis, Attorney at Law Practice Areas:Professional Responsibility; Legal Ethics; Legal Malpractice; Professional Liability Office:Sacramento, California (Sacramento Co.) Compare***-***-**** View Website Contact Now Name:Stephen J. Mackey Peer Review RatedDocumentsJob Title:Partner Organization:Donahue Davies LLP Practice Areas:General Liability; Medical Malpractice; Legal Malpractice; Insurance Bad Faith Litigation Office:Sacramento, California (Sacramento Co.) Compare***-***-**** View Website Contact Now Name:Holly Jeanne Jacobson DocumentsJob Title:Member Organization:Alves Jacobson Radcliffe LLP Practice Areas:Civil Business Litigation(40%); Legal Malpractice(20%); Regulatory Compliance(30%); Employment Law(10%) Office:Sacramento, California (Sacramento Co.) Compare***-***-**** View Website Contact Now Name:Scott Edward Radcliffe DocumentsJob Title:Partner Organization:Alves Jacobson Radcliffe LLP Practice Areas:Business Law; Contracts; Legal Malpractice; Litigation; Personal Injury; Products Liability; Professional Liability Office:Sacramento, California (Sacramento Co.) Compare***-***-****
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
look I more wanted advice about my problem like what do I do to prove my case. as soon as I ask for my file they will clam up what ways do I go to prove to the state bar that I was mis led lied to and such. these guys told me that the defense was prepaired to go as high as $330,000. then he had me sign a paper he said it would lock in a part and they were going to go to refile and do it right and he said the back would be included and I would get the case resolved then but then he rilly had other plans. as soon as he went back to the office he wrote me a good by letter and quit saying the case was over and settled
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

If he missed a filing date then that is all you need to show. That is pretty much legal negligence, in and of itself. There is not really a defense to that.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what do I say to get my file fast without problems
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Your attorney would do that for you. You do not need to do it yourself.

Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

Otherwise, just call the attorney and tell him you would like to pick up your file.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
what if he says no or to pay for copies or they don't have time for a long wait or something
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

File a complaint with the state bar. They are required to give you the file by state bar regs

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
state bar said that missing a deadline to file was simply a mistake and they don't discipline lawyers for mistakes
Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

The bar is more concerned with ethical breach and violation of bar regulations

The attorney still has to give you your file if you make a demand.