Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

I have an attorney who is cosigner on an escrow account in

Customer Question

I have an attorney who is cosigner on an escrow account for money in disputer with my separated wife and me. He learned of a $500 withdraw and sent me and my wife's attorny a letter telling me I am not permitted to withdraw money and hence removed my name from the account. I went to the bank and they admitted its their error and are writing a letter to my attorny. My attorney is making fees on this that I should not have to pay and worse deformed my character to my wife and her attorney. What is my recourse to not pay his fees and reverse the damage?
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

If your attorney has breached his duty to you or not protected your rights you can sue him for malpractice. Additionally, you can also file a complaint for misconduct with the state bar. The state bar can censure, suspend or even revoke his license to practice if he is found to have breached his ethical and professional duty to you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

If I do this my attorney could retaliate and making things harder and cost me more money in the turnover to a new lawyer. Who is the judge of this to determine my rights and if there was a violation?

Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

If you do not trust him to protect your rights or vigorously advocate on your behalf then maybe he should net be your attorney.

Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

In an ethics violation complaint the state bar would investigate and make their own determination.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

ok. but who pays for his time?. He did not check with me and instead billing for his time to handle an issue that he made worse. He started letters and calling the bank, etc. All he had to do was tell me and let me investigate / resolve then acting on half info that not only costs me more money but makes me look bad from the eyes of my and my wifes attonry. It may weaken my creditability all on false premises.

Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

If he is forced to spend time dealing with issues caused by your actions then he will likely look to you to compensate him for his time. If you protest, I suspect he will work out something with you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

it wasnt my actions it was the bank selecting the wrong account. I have no way to know this was happening as they selected the wrong bus account and admit it. I did nothing wrong and hence why am I paying for it?

Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

Then you should not be paying for it and you can refuse to pay his invoice. You are not legally responsible for the bank's error.

Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.