Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I live in louisiana and I am opening a diesel repair

Customer Question

I live in louisiana and I am opening a diesel repair service, what legal documentation do I need?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have already registered with the IRS as an L.L.C.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Legal documentation as to what?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What licenses do I need and do I have to carry liability insurance? I need to know what I have to do to start conducting business under the name of my business. Is it as easy as get the job and do it?

You will have to check with your parish and city to see if they have any special licensing, those won't be online and most in Louisiana don't require them.

You definitely want liability insurance but you wouldn't be required to have it for mechanic's work. You would want to get a tax resale number from the state and an EIN from the IRS.

If you have employees you are required to have workers comp insurance in LA. You can read more about that at

There are some job types that require a contractor's license. You would need to contact the agency at and ask them when it is required for your type of work. I don't think private mechanics are required to have them but private mechanics on certain type of job locations are.

That should take care of you as far as "requirements". As I said, even if you don't have to have liability insurance you probably want it and you can also talk to the same insurance company about being "bonded" sometimes that lowers the amount of liability you have to carry plus it is a good advertising point.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of something else.