CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

I am 100% disabled and am a shut in. What kind of power of

Customer Question

I am 100% disabled and am a shut in. What kind of power of attorney do I need to allow my Sister/Caregiver to file court papers and represent me in small claims court?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 4 months ago.

Dear Customer,
Thank you for using our forum.

My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

Unfortunately, a power of attorney does not actually permit someone to represent another person in court. The only person that can appear for someone else in court is a licensed attorney.

While small claims does allow another person to "assist" a litigant (so for example if you have difficulty speaking English, are hard of hearing, or simply need help organizing your papers), you can have another person come to the small claims hearing and assist you.

But to actually appear in court on your behalf and represent you, you need a licensed attorney.