John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.

Is it legal employer to swab your mouth to see if you use

Customer Question

Is it legal for an employer to swab your mouth to see if you use tobacco
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

In what state is this occurring?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I work for accompany out of CA
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

The testing itself isn't illegal. What would be illegal is disciplining or discharging your employment because of off-the-job use of tobacco products. Likewise, it isn't illegal to have a no more than 30% increase in insurance costs on an employee who smokes (on or off the job).

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.