N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983

I have recieved an "estimated" invoice from hospital for

Customer Question

I have recieved an "estimated" invoice from hospital for $2,176.00 owed.
Hospital has not billed my medical insurance co.
I have sent certified letter to the hospital requesting itemized bill with procedure codes so I can submit a claim to my insurance co.
No response from hospital. Hospital has advised me 4 times verbally they have billed my insurance co. yet insurance co. advises no claim filed.
Insurance co advises one yr statutory limit is coming fast and they can deny the claim.
One yr is up this 7-31-16
What can I do??????
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

Have you sent a copy of the invoice from the hospital to your medical insurance company?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have no invoice to send them.
I have requested Scottsdale Health Care Hospital to send and file it with my insurance co. they keep telling me they have
yet the carrier . Blue Cross has nothing. I sent a certified letter on May 14th to the hospital asking for an invoice with procedure codes so I can file it with Blue Cross and gave them 10 days to respond with no answer as of today.

You wrote: "I have recieved an "estimated" invoice from hospital for $2,176.00 owed"

You then wrote that you have not received an invoice. This has me confused, please clarify, did you receive an "estimated invoice" in writing or not?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The invoice states services rendered on July 31 through Aug 1-2 we estimate your balance to be $2,1760.00 Balance due in 30 days unless you contact our billing office for payment arrangements. There is no other data on the invoice other than name of hospital, surgery performed, dates of service and thier billing claim number.I have asked for an itemized statement for all charges for each day with proper procedures codes etc. and I recieve nothing in the mail, nothing but lip service on the phone meaning they say they have filed but Blue Cross says they have nothing.Blue Cross has contacted them by phone and fax giving them the correct fax number to submit a claim. I called Blue Cross today and they advised still no response from the hospital other than the same lip service, "we are on it".

I think it would be a good idea to send a copy of the invoice you have to BC just to make sure that you have filed a claim on time, even if the claim lacks some information. I do not know which version of BC you have or which State this is in, but if BC has a standard claim form you should probably use their form and send the invoice in with the form, certified mail, return receipt requested, so you will be able to prove that you submitted a claim on time. I think the form they want is posted at

There is nothing I can do from here to get the hospital billing department to do it's job.

You can get a free consultation from some of the local attorneys listed here.

Please follow up on this with a local attorney.

I hope this information is helpful.

I understand that the claim form I linked to is supposed to be signed by the health care provider but if they keep not signing it you can just submit it yourself with a cover letter stating that you asked the provider to sign it and they did not do so.