Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I live in Fulton County (Georgia) and I'm being taken to

Customer Question

I live in Fulton County (Georgia) and I'm being taken to court by a maid service for a bounced check totaling $500. I do not have the funds to pay right out. Will the judge allow me a payment plan
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, if you owe them the money, the judge does not give payment plans, that is something you would have to negotiate with the plaintiff. If the judge finds against you, they enter a judgment which is due lump sum. If you cannot pay all at once, you need to try to work out some payment deal with the plaintiff or the plaintiff can file for a writ of seizure and seek to seize your property or even possibly garnish wages or levy bank accounts to recover their judgment.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How would I work this out with the plaintiff? Am I allowed to contact them?
Thank you for your reply.
You are allowed to contact the plaintiff and make an offer of settlement before going to court. Any settlement you agree upon, make sure it is in writing and make sure it involves an agreement to seek continuance of the civil suit and subsequent dismissal when you pay them off.