Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

My Mom recently died,there are five siblings,there is a

Customer Question

My Mom recently died,there are five siblings,there is a remaining mortgage 40k. There are no funds on hand,she was receiving SS benefits that covered basic bills.I am her legal conservator.I am thinking to list proper for sale,however everyone is not on the same page. There are two siblings living in the house. I am asking everyone help equally to pay bills,if not then,reimburse me accordingly,as well as to summit written to such.Please share your thoughts Thank you
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

My sincere condolences on your loss. If I may ask, did your mother leave a will behind or any sort of directive? Please advise.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No she did not have a Will. The court awarded me Conservator of her estate

In that situation you cannot lawfully compel anyone to pay the bills of the estate. Under US law the estate itself is responsible for costs and charges, and outside parties such as heirs, beneficiaries, or strangers cannot be made to cover those costs. You can ask them to do so, but you cannot legally compel them to assist.

Having said that, as conservator you are put in charge of the estate--you can authorize payments and pay bills if the estate has such funds available. You can also evict people from the premises, so if you want to remove the siblings and place the property on sale, you can do so if you wish. But again, you cannot make them reimburse you or pay equally. You can evict them, but that is about it, if they were living there rent-free.

Dimitry, Esq.