Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

I entered into a contract with a roofer and gave m deposit

Customer Question

I entered into a contract with a roofer and gave him deposit of $6,000 to purchase materials to fix our house. He failed to keep many appointments and promises to pay back the deposit. He does not return my calls nor text messages. Is there any way I can find out where he cashed his check (from the check I wrote to him). I am trying to find out his driver's license. Please help!
Thank you, Janet
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for your question, Janet. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Janet, where are you located, please? Are you in the US? If so, in what state are you located in, please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I live in Texas

Did you contact your bank as yet to track the check, or no?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I went to my bank, Bank of America and was told they couldn't tell which bank it is from the back of the check. I think the roofer went to check cashing service

Did you order or obtain a copy of your cashed check, specifically the back of the check for review?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do have a copy of the check front and back

The back of the check should have the name of the cashing bank, or if this was a cashing service, their number listed, which would then permit you to pursue a trace. Once you have that information, you can provide it to the police, state that the other party committed theft under 'false pretenses' (promising service which wasn't delivered), and ask the police to follow up with the cash checking service to obtain information on this person. Most places now take an ID and a digital image of the party so as to best protect themselves, and that may permit you to track and trace the individual directly.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am working with a detective and gave him a copy of the check, but he said he couldn't find anything.

Then you are somewhat stuck, I am afraid. Ultimately the best way to find him is via a paper trail. If that fails, your next and far less likely bet is to speak with the detective and look at mug shots to see if you can identify him from prior violations. You can also attempt to google him via name that he gave you, and hope that he gave you his real name. In addition you can also do a reverse phone lookup if you dealt with him via phone and see if his address and name are listed under the phone account.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He is using a prepaid phone. The detective can't find his information from his name.
He is using his apartment as his business address. I sent him a certified 10 days letter of demand and I got a signed copy from him. Can I find his information from the apartment manager?

You can try speaking with the manager. However short of a court order or a warrant, the manager does not have to disclose such information to you. Since you have no other leads, this is your best option (as it appears the phone is otherwise a dead end).

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'll ask the detective if he can ask the manager. Thank you so much for your help. You've been very helpful.
Janet

Janet, it was my pleasure. I am sorry that you have ended up in this situation and I hope you are able to obtain some sort of redress. Please let me know if I am able to assist you again. Otherwise kindly do not forget to positively rate so that I can obtain credit for my work. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.