CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

I'm living in OH, and have a house which leasing at Polk

Customer Question

I'm living in OH, and have a house which leasing at Polk county in GA.
My insurance company increased home insurance coverage in several years without owners requests and/or agreements.
Can they do that legally?
If it's illegal, how can I fight?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 4 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

If I understand your question correctly, you have a home insurance policy and the rates for this policy have been increasing over the past several years.

You wrote to the carrier and they noted that the reason for the increase was that they saw an increase in the cost of contractors in the area and correspondingly raised rates.

You are asking if it is illegal for an insurance carrier to raise rates, and how to fight it if so.

• It is not illegal for an insurance carrier to raise rates on their policies.
  • They must honor the policies that they have written and were already paid for (so if you had purchased a policy, say for example the 2014 calendar year, they cannot raise the cost of this policy mid way through that policy term - so in our example, they cannot send you a bill in June of 2014 and say that the cost of the policy that you already purchased has increased).
  • But for each year that you purchase a new policy, the terms and conditions change.
  • By the same token, you are entitled to change insurance carriers each year (so you can shop other policies and see if you can find better rates, or different coverage that better meets your expectations). Just as they are not obligated to continue offering you the same rates on their coverage each year, you are not obligated to continue buying the same policy from them each year.