Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I want to take over a restaurant in hermosa beach California

Customer Question

I want to take over a restaurant in hermosa beach California that has been in business for over 30 years. I spoke with the health dept. and they said if i add or in the kitchen want to change any cooking appliances we will need to apply for a new permit or license. I want to upgrade this restaurant and make it better than it has ever been but it is very small and it only has one bathroom and is so small that we can't make the bathroom handicap.How do we make this happen. Thanks Rex
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, anytime a new owner buys a building or business, if that business was exempt from codes or regulations based on the business being in existence prior to laws changing (grandfather rights) and if the new owner tries to do any type of remodeling, then the owner has to then update the entire premises to code and they can legally make you get the permit and do the upgrades.
For the bathroom this means bringing in a plumbing architect and getting them to determine whether or not the bathroom can be made ADA compliant and if it cannot, then you have to provide proof to the building/zoning commission and apply for a waiver to them to get an exemption based on it being not structurally possible without an extraordinary expense to comply with the ADA remodel.