Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I have legally changed my name and have submitted a name

Customer Question

I have legally changed my name and have submitted a name change form to SSA. The problem is that my accountant filed for an extension for my 2015 return, so that still have my previous name on it. What should I do? Carol
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

There shouldn't be a problem if your taxes were from a time that your old name matched the name on your tax info and forms. You can, if you choose, attach a certified copy of your name change ored to anything you send to them but it isn't likely to be necessary. If there is a difference between the tax documents and the names then the certified copy of the order should take care of that.