Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Is there anything that can be done to AMR way they handled

Customer Question

Is there anything that can be done to AMR for the way they handled my son, in front of his 2 sisters (ages 28 & 12), his 2 brothers (ages 23 & 24), my daughtet in law, his grandmother, grandfather aunt, nephew and his 3 yr old niece?
On June 14_ 2015 my son, age 31, passed away in my apartment. When AMR arrived my son and daughter was performing CPR on Randy with 911 on the phone line.
1st, they didn't take a gurney or even a medical box in. ( they claim a stretcher wouldn't fit in apartment. We lived in a wheelchair assessable apt. So they could of gotten it in.
2nd, when EMTs walked into the room where Randy was they just stood there, one of them even put his hands on his hips and sighed. My daughter in law had to yell at them, " aren't you gonna do something!" They didn't have a medical box handy nor did they seem as if they were in any rush to help
3rd, they had a portable gurney that unfolded, they placed my son on it and proceeded to lift him. Well this blanket/portable gurney wasn't very sturdy and they jus allowed my sons body to bend, his knees were pressed against his face. (My son, that was performing CPR on him could not eat for days, he kept picturing his brother being carried out " like a sac of potatoes", was how he described it.
4th, EMTs carried him outside and laid him on a stretcher that was in front of apartment, where they them tried to resesitate him, by this time, every one in pool area was lined up along the fence watching.
Last, My sister asked if she could ride with my son. She was told that, " she'd have to ride up front and that its best she didn't". She asked which hospital they were taking him to , she was told Valley. They were asked two other times by my family where he was being taken, they again, were told "Valley".. By this time, more family showed up, they all went to Valley hospital, (2miles away). When arriving there they rushed in telling them that Randy was brought in by paramedics, wanting to know what was going on. They said he wasn't there. My family was frantic, telling them how they were told he was being taken there Where wawhere what's going on, they all thought. The er employees tried locating EMT. When they did, they were told he was taken to umc. My family rushed there. When they arrived, they had no record of him there either.
After, agonizing minutes, of wondering where they took him, I arrive at valley. Two of my nieces were in valley parking lot wait for me. I rush out heading towards valleyl er, they were crying a told me, they took him to umc. I turned and ran to umc. Rushing in er, crying, I was told by other Ppl where to go. I could find my family. Security stops me, I'm sobbing, trying to tell him how my son was suppose to be there and I had to find him. I was held there while he tried radioing er to find him. He give his name, nothing. Ask of nicknames, again nothing. By this time I'm trying to run to find him or my family. He wouldn't let me go. I'm frantic, crying, telling him I had to find him. I felt I was wasting time jus standing there. Every second counted. My head spinning, not knowing if my son was dead or alive, not knowing where my son was taken....
Security found him, he was there jus under John Doe.
I reached my family and a few minutes later the doctor came out and told us " they did everything they could but failed and my son died
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "is there anything I can do", "what are my rights", or "what are my options" we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.