Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I have been a tier 1 sex offender yrs. now they want to

Customer Question

I have been a tier 1 sex offender for 12 yrs. now they want to change me to a tier 3 . I have served jail time 3 yrs probation and 3 yrs sex abuse classes.
Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel. I am sorry to hear of this situation.

Please tell me what information I can provide for you in this regard. What is the question?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
John Walsh law.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They want to change my tier 1 that I have been on 12 yrs to a tier3
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you help
Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. I am not sure of what information you are seeking. However, in 2012 the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals found that it was “constitutionally sound” for Nevada to apply tough new retroactive requirements for registered sex offenders under a state law.

Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

It will apply retroactively, unfortunately. And if the offense originally committed was a category A assault (NRS 200.366), lewdness with a child (NRS 201.230), or any number of other sexual offenses the offender can be re categorized as a Tier 3

Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

You can consider consulting with a local defense attorney to see if there are any appeals of the 9th circuits decision and maybe they can assist in challenging the change of tiers.

Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

Perhaps, while you are still a Tier I offender, you can have a local attorney file a petition requesting the court for an early release from registration. That can be filed after you have registered for at least 10 consecutive years