Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.

I was pulled over DUI in November have not got any paperwork

Customer Question

Hello I was pulled over for a DUI in November have not got any paperwork yet how long do I have before they can no longer charge me for it when I do get the papers in the mail?
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. The statute of limitations for the State to file charges on a DUI, in PA, is two years. So, the State prosecutor has two years from the time you were stopped to file their charges. I can't guess when the State will send you the summons (paperwork), that is up to them and the processing norms for that particular area. Usually though it wouldn't be as long as it has been. So, they either decided not to charge you, they have lost your paperwork, or the summons was mailed but didn't make it to you. In the later case though, there would usually have been a warrant issued for your arrest if you hadn't shown up to your first hearing. Therefore, it is less likely that that latter situation applies.

If you want to find out the status of your case, you can contact the officer who completed your police report. Of course, if you do contact them, that will put you back on their radar and if they have misplaced your paperwork, they might look for it if you contact them. That is up to you.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 8th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.