Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

If legally marrid but legally separated at time of spouses

Customer Question

If legally marrid but legally separated at time of spouses death. Am I legally responsible for properties if there is no will?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

What do you mean by "legally responsible"? That is a term that the law doesn't usually use but most people do so it can mean different things to different people.

Also, what type of properties?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Legally responsible for real property like land. Legally responsible for debts on such land
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Final exspenses.

You wouldn't be responsible for the debt on the land unless you signed for it (are on the loan). If your name is ***** ***** deed you would also be responsible for taxes on the land.

Any property that was acquired during the marriage is community property. To an extent, the debt is too. Not all debt acquired during marriage is community property but it is presumed to be community property. That presumption is what is known as "rebuttable" which means it can be proven not to be community.

In addition, many of the debts will be extinguished if a probate is opened and the creditors notified of the estate but then fail to file a claim.

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread.