Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

Ray, I reside in Fort Bend County, Tx. My father passed away

Customer Question

Hi Ray,
I reside in Fort Bend County, Tx. My father passed away 18 months ago and left a small policy for my two sons. I am divorced and the insurance company said that I need to provided documentation from the court (I assume proving I have guardian status). My father named me custodian but the insurance company says that I waited to long to proceed and now I need to go through the courts. Their mom and I have a good relationship and will just be putting the money in their 529 accounts but I do not no how I should proceed. Any advice?
Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA Ray here to help you today.

You will need to make application for guardianship of their estate here in your county probate court.

Once appointed here you can open an account in their name and deposit the check in their name.It would be made out to you as guardian of the estate of your kids names.

Reference

http://texasguardianship.org/guardianship-information/guardianship-basics/guardianship-process-2/

Expert:  Ray replied 6 months ago.

You file your application here and a notice is posted and you will be given hearing date to go in front of judge and be appointed and receive your letters of guardianship that authorizes you to represent the children here.

Thanks again for letting me help you today.