legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

I won a $4400 judgement against safe auto. How do I get them

Customer Question

I won a $4400 judgement against safe auto. How do I get them to pay ?
Expert:  legalgems replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear this; First one needs to get an Abstract of Judgment from the court.

This can be filed in the recorder's office in any county where the defendant has property, and it serves as public notice that the judgment creditor has a lien on that real property and they will receive payment upon the sale of that property.

One may also obtain a Writ of Execution to attempt to seize the debtor's non-exempt property to satisfy the judgment. A very effective tool for businesses is to request the appointment of a receiver pursuant to Code 31.002 -the receiver can seize assets of the business-they can even take over the entire business. Other remedies include writ of attachments to specific property, and turnover orders (which order the judgment debtor to bring specified property to court). The court can also order the judgment debtor to be in contempt if they refuse to comply with the court orders.

30 days after judgment one can conduct post judgment discovery-such as request for production, interrogatories, etc, to help determine the assets of the debtor.

There are also firms that specialize in collections of judgment but they usually charge a percentage of the money received.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

A writ of garnishment also allows recovery, for it directs a third party (ie a bank) to turn over money to the judgment creditor.

I came across this while researching for another customer and thought it would come in handy:

Thank you and take care.