Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I want to know if Verizon can charge people a fee worth the

Customer Question

I want to know if Verizon can charge people a fee worth the whole worth of there contract if they wish to change companies and not just an early termination fee.
JA: Employment law can be complex. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Massachusetts
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: how can you charge for months of service you will never provide?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: This is not for wireless service, this is for internet, video, and phone services. The main company I am looking into is Verizon and this is in Massachusetts. I have many companies looking to change and they are being told they have to pay huge amounts and not just early termination fees to leave Verizon.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Sam replied 6 months ago.

Hello

This is what a Verizon Contract says about early termination:

You may terminate service for any reason within 14 days of activation. If you purchased a wireless device at a promotional price at the time of activation, you must return it within the device return period to avoid being assessed an Early Termination Fee of $175, or $350 if you purchased an Advanced Device. You will remain responsible for your Activation Fee unless you terminate service within three days of activation. You will also be responsible for all applicable usage fees, prorated access charges, taxes, surcharges or other charges that accrued to your account through the termination date. If you paid a security deposit, it may take between 30 and 60 days to process the return of your security deposit. The charges for any service used on the account before the service termination date may be applied against your security deposit.

If you cancel your service after the 14 day period, but prior to the expiration of your minimum term, you will be responsible for all of the above mentioned charges, including an Early Termination Fee.

Expert:  Sam replied 6 months ago.

So yes, they can be held responsible for other fees as evidenced by the provision in the contract.