Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

I am 64 years and in another 9 months anticipating

Customer Question

I am 64 years and in another 9 months anticipating retirement.I know find my self in need of a copy birth certificate. I contracted with an online agency and received notice that name submitted by me did not match with information of record. My predicament is that over 45 years ago- i took my given first name and lengthen it and changed 2 letters in my middle name, at the time that i made this change i researched and it was indicated that as long as the name change was not for any criminal reason, it would be ok. I have absolutely nothing other than a copy of a copy birth certificate- other than that i have nothing in my given name.
The name that i have utilized for the past 45 yrs or so or even longer appears in all my professional and legal documents:
mortgage -driving license-passport-employment records for the past 41years- and yes i have a social security card in my chosen name i receive social security earnings statement bi-annually and they all contain my chosen name with my DOB--The agency that i contacted indicates i must submit court documentation where a name change was authorized, which of course i do not possess. My question is will this negatively effective me as i attempt to collect my SS benefits
Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight.

The easiest way to resolve this is to petition for a name change.You pay the small filing fee and go in front of the judge here and he grants you a name change.You would then submit it to vital statistics and they issue an amended birth certificate.This puts it all in your current name and no problems.You would need to submit the orders to SS and DMV, anybody else you need to get it corrected.

Here are the forms you need to do this yourself.

You need to fix it now because it will continue to cause you problems.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.I wish you the best here.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank-you, I guess I was expecting your reply to be that since I have 40 plus years of my adopted name and I would not require a change in birth certificate. Every document I process is in my adopted name-
Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

You are welcome.The name change is real simple just a petition here and you go to judge's uncontested docket, he asks a few questions and signs the orders.Thanks about it to get name to match up to what you want legally.

Expert:  Ray replied 4 months ago.

If you can rate 5 stars here it is always much appreciated.