Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I bought a car when I was not in the right frame of mind

Customer Question

I bought a car when I was not in the right frame of mind mentally it was reposessed. I having been paying it. I have heard. that I could get out of this under laws which protect minors and the mentally ill. I believe its called the Capacity to Contract. I live in Massachusets. can you advice me?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In order for you to seek to void the contract, you would need to have medical expert testimony to present in court that you were not legally competent to contract at the time you entered the contract. Then your attorney will have to show why you continued paying on the contract once you regained your mental competence. These cases are not easy to bring unless you have an extensive mental health treatment history from the time you purchased the car showing that you were indeed mentally incompetent.
If you have that evidence, then yes, you can sue to void the contract based on lack of your mental capacity to contract at the time you entered the contract. But you will need a local consumer protection law attorney to file suit against the company to seek to get the contract voided.