How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 114781
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to sue a California Hotel me Transient Occupancy Tax

Customer Question

I need to sue a California Hotel for charging me Transient Occupancy Tax last 8.5 years total is over 28K. Trying to find out if I sue all the owners of this property as I know it changed hands.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, it is a straight shot case....I have all the law information on this.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: And receipts
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I need to know if I sue all the owners of this hotel past 8.5 years or just the present owner. Hotel staff was negligent in charging me 8% Transient Occupancy Tax--- each day when I am not a Transient. During my time here, asked many times about lowering fees I paid and was told they could do nothing. I already asked to be paid back. There paralegal is dragging feet and I am not going to wait anymore. I would like my money. I am in Los Angeles.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is a Residence Inn by do I sue Marriott too? Like Erin Andrews case where she had that issue, similar set up with being owned by x but the name Marriott. Thanks.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also, how much interest should I charge for past due monies owed me 8.5 years worth.
I had no idea they were doing this until about two weeks ago...thus the reason I am taking action now.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you are suing the hotel, even though it has changed ownership over the years, you name the current hotel business, because they are the successors in interest from the previous owners. Thus, they are liable for anything the previous owners did that caused them to owe you as well as for what they have continued to do if they have been improperly charging you the tax.
You need to look up the owner of the corporation on the Secretary of State's website and that is who you sue and the website will list the agent for service, which is the party you have served with the suit.
Pre and post judgment interest rate in CA is set by the state at 9% per year.