Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.

I would like to make a promissory note about payments, etc

Customer Question

I would like to make a promissory note about payments, etc with a person we cosigned with since he is leaving the state.
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Virginia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Are you looking for a note form you can use as a template?

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Here is a basic note, with confession of judgment, you can use as a template:

_____________ (Date) _____________________________ (Amount) ($_______)

For value received, the undersigned jointly and severally promise to pay to the order of ____________________ the principal sum of ________________________ (Amount) ($______________), payable at ___________________, together with interest thereon at the rate of __________ percent (_____%) per annum until maturity, both principal and interest being payable in lawful money of the United States as follows:

Payments of principal plus interest shall be made monthly in the amount of _________

(Amount) ($_______) beginning ___________ (Date), with each payment representing _____________ (Amount) ($_________) of principal and _______________ (Amount) ($_________) of interest.

If any installment of principal or interest hereunder is not paid when due, the entire unpaid amount together with interest shall become due and payable immediately at the election of the holder. Upon default of any of the obligations set forth in this agreement, each maker and endorser authorizes and empowers any attorney, Justice of the Peace, or Clerk of Court of Record in any of the jurisdictions in which the makers or endorsers reside, work or own property in the State of ____________________, or in any other jurisdiction, to enter judgment by confession against such makers and endorsers, jointly and severally, in favor of ____________________ or its assigns, for the full amount due plus all costs of collection, including without limitation court costs and reasonable attorney's fees. Each maker and endorser expressly waives any summons or other process, consents to immediate execution of said judgment, and expressly waives benefit of all exemption laws and presentment, demand, protest, and notice of maturity, and/or protest, and also waives benefit of any other requirements necessary to hold each of them liable as makers and endorsers.

If any one or more of the words or terms of this Note shall be held to be indefinite, invalid, illegal or otherwise unenforceable, in whole or in part, for any reason, by any court of competent jurisdiction, the remainder of this Note shall continue in full force and effect and shall be construed as if such indefinite, invalid, illegal or unenforceable words or terms had not been contained herein.

The terms of this Note shall be governed by the laws of the State of _______________.

_______________________________ ______________

Signature Date

Signature Date