Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I have a hospital debt from 4 yrs ago, because I injured my

Customer Question

I have a hospital debt from 4 yrs ago, because I injured my back. My employer laid me off
because of the long recovery. So at the time of the hospital stay I had no job and no insurance. I had no employment for 15 months. A collection company has taken over the
debt and inflated the original debt by 300%. What are my options on this medical debt?
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
In California, the statute of limitations for breach of written contract is 4 years from date of breach, or 4 years from date of the last payment, whichever is later. Since the statute of limitations is about to expire on this debt, the creditor is likely to come after you hard at this point.
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
If the statute of limitations has expired, you could claim that the debt is not collectible.
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.
If the statute of limitations has not expired, the only real options are to negotiate a settlement and payment arrangement that you can afford OR file bankruptcy and have the debt discharged as an unsecured debt.
Expert:  Roger replied 6 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!