Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

A collection claim was wrongly filed against me and now the

Customer Question

Hi Pearl. A collection claim was wrongly filed against me and now the plaintiff has agreed to drop the claim. His lawyer sent me a "Stipulation of Discontinuance" but it says it is discontinued WITHOUT prejudice. Does that mean the plaintiff is free to refile his claim in the future? Should I insist it be rewritten to "WITH" prejudice?
JA: The Lawyer's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost. Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NY
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Barrister replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

but it says it is discontinued WITHOUT prejudice. Does that mean the plaintiff is free to refile his claim in the future?

.

That is exactly what it means....they can try again at a later date until the statute of limitations expires on the debt.

.

So yes, if you can get them to agree to drop it with prejudice, then that makes it final forever.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
But I read that "
Dismissed Without Prejudice Law & Legal Definition "A dismissal without prejudice is granted in response to a notice of dismissal, stipulations, or a court order." and
Dismissed With Prejudice Law & Legal Definition - although your answer is correct, is there an exemption as I found that "a dismissal with prejudice is dismissal of a case on merits after adjudication."This case was filed but never had a hearing.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello?

Ok, this isn't technically a dismissal with or without prejudice because a judge does that.. Basically this would be the other party saying that they just don't want to continue.

.

But they can still voluntarily agree to give up the right to continue the case forever by entering the stipulation and agreeing to discontinue with prejudice.

.

.

thanks