Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

If an heir is incarcerated and still has 31/2 yrs left

Customer Question

if an heir is incarcerated and still has 31/2 yrs left before getting out is there another way to get around him signing for someone to get the safty deposit box open
Expert:  Sam replied 6 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel. The incarcerated heir can assign a limited Power Of Attorney to someone they trust. The Limited POA can specifically assign that it is to open a Safe Deposit Box. HERE is a LINK for such a POA. The incarcerated heir only needs to sign it in front of a Notary. The facility where they are incarcerated should have a Notary on site and the incarcerated person can have their case manager assist in locating the Notary.

Expert:  Sam replied 6 months ago.

Once the assigned POA has the document, they can take it to the bank and the bank should allow the access. They will need to see the original and the bank can make copies.

Expert:  Sam replied 6 months ago.

Please let me know, if you have other questions in this regard. Otherwise a positive rating ensures I get credit for my time and information. Thank you.