Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

An old friend accesed my bank account to be nosey, told

Customer Question

an old friend accesed my bank account to be nosey, told people we both know about my balances that were made after a lawsuit I won. the info finally got back to me, and was confirmed by my bank that she accessed my account info. now the bank will not give me the document proving she accessed my account in the event the company I sued tries to sue me for breach of confidentiality when in fact it was the bank employee who disclosed my banking info. I live in the state of ohio
JA: Employment law can be complex. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: ohio, this isn't an employment issue
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: wait and see what the bank offers me..they said if I filed a lawsuit I could get the document in discovery, but at that point I feel like I would just go thru with the invasion of privacy lawsuit, failure to supervise, intrusion upon seclusion case
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: its gonna cost me money to defend what I thought was already private because of an employee bad decision
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: ok where
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
First of all, you have grounds to sue an old friend in addition to the bank. The bank is not going to give up the documents, nor do they legally have to do so, without a court subpoena. So you are going to need to sue the bank and/or your old friend and as part of that suit you would be able to issue a subpoena for the records from the bank proving the access and then you can seek your damages from both old nosy friend for invasion of privacy and also the bank for breach of their duty of confidentiality and breach of their privacy agreement with you as the customer.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
she also accessed an account I share with my 20 year old daughter.. does she have the same rights?
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, anyone on the account has a claim against her and the bank for invasion of privacy and breach of the duty of confidentiality.