Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I have a roommate who is on a joint lease with me who tried

Customer Question

I have a roommate who is on a joint lease with me who tried to move out without even telling me. At this point I would just like to break out lease which requires $1900 and a 30 day notice. She also refuses to pay her portion of monthly rent and I am not sure how to go about making a case
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

HI - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I go about creating this case
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

Usually, a lease obligates the tenants jointly and severally to the landlord -- meaning that each tenant is 100% responsible to the landlord for 100% of the monthly rent due)......but leases usually do not provide any obligations between the tenants. In other words, there may be no obligation to one another for anything......

Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

.....unless you have a separate contract that says what your obligations are to each other.

Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

Thus, if either of you were to walk away, there may be no claim against the other for the unpaid rent......and the landlord doesn't care where the money comes from as long as the rent is paid. So, if both of you were to walk away, the landlord would have the right to sue both of you for the unpaid rent/cancellation fee, etc., and could collect -- in whole or in part -- from either or both of you.

Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!

Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.